Motorcyclists are at a significantly higher risk of accident than passenger car operators, because of this it is essential that you are prepared with steps to take when such accidents occur. What happens after your accident is crucial to the amount of compensation you could receive. In the following paragraphs, we will be looking at the steps to take when you are involved in an accident.
- Take down as much information as you can about the accident. It is important that you jot as much as you can about the accident, write down everything you can remember; what transpired to the exact time of the day the accident occurred, if there were hazards or obstacles present, the weather at the time of the accident, the number of people involved, any information at all irrespective of how important or unimportant it may seem.
- Ensure you take notes and document your injuries, there should be visual documentation in form of pictures and written documentation containing all relevant information pertaining to your injury as well. Inform the nearest medical personnel of any injury you sustained because of the accident.
- Get as many eyewitnesses as you can, immediately after the accident, follow up and have a conversation with any eyewitness at the scene as soon as you can. It is crucial that you get their account of events while it is still fresh in their memory.
- It is crucial to have a record of your conversations with each eyewitness. Information like; place, time, date, number of people involved etc. are very important. These records are important for the legal matters after.
- Try to revisit the scene of the accident. It is very important that you revisit the scene of the accident as soon as possible. When you revisit the scene, scan the environment where the accident occurred for more evidence. As time passes by, your mental state is a lot calmer and as a result you notice things that you might have missed when the accident occurred.
- Make sure that you have a pictorial record of the scene where the accident occurred. Its time you put on your forensic thinking cap and take as much pictures of the crime scene from different angles as you can. For best results endeavor to recapture the accident scene at about the same time the accident occurred initially.
Seeking Legal Advice
Similar to other claims that involve the loss of property and bodily injuries, laying claims to compensations as a result of motorcycle accidents can be a long, drawn out and complicated process. It is always advisable that you seek legal advice or have a lawyer represent you in such matters.